This is the fifth monthly bulletin by ILGA on UN Special Procedures and sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, and sex characteristics (SOGIESC).
In this issue, we introduce a new section on useful contacts for defenders wishing to engage with Special Procedures. The section includes information on organisations and activists who could provide support in LGBTI defenders’ engagement with Special Procedures mandate holders. We would be happy to add your contacts to the list. In that light, please do let us know if you are coordinating or facilitating such engagement.
This issue includes details of reports that have been presented by Special Procedures at the Third Committee of the 72nd session of the General Assembly in New York (September-December 2017); four open calls for civil society input to Special Procedures, two events organised by Special procedures mandate holders and the updated list of upcoming country visits. It also includes details of the appointments of Special Procedures at the 36th (September 2017) and 37th (March 2018) HRC, as well as the latest on the appointment of the new Independent Expert on SOGI. Finally, you will also find the latest statements by mandate holders on LGBTI issues; and a list of resources for advocacy with Special Procedures mechanisms.
We especially highlight the following:
- Reports to the General Assembly, including the second report of the SOGI Independent Expert, as well as NEW! four new SOGIESC-inclusive reports by both thematic and country mandates;
- Calls for inputs on the upcoming report of the Special Rapporteur on the promotion and protection of the right to freedom of opinion and expression on content regulation in the digital age;
- The following upcoming country visits by mandate holders: Serbia (Special Rapporteur on torture, November 2017), Mexico (Special Rapporteur on freedom of expression, November-December 2017), Chad (Working Group on discrimination against women, December 2017), United States (Special Rapporteur on poverty, December 2017), NEW! Spain (Special Rapporteur on freedom of assembly, December 2017), Bahamas (Special Rapporteur on violence against women, December 2017), NEW! Mongolia (Special Rapporteur on water and sanitation, April 2018), NEW! Ghana (Special Rapporteur on poverty, April 2018), and NEW! Canada (Special Rapporteur on health, second half of 2018).
- Recently appointed mandate holders, including four members of the Working Group on discrimination against women, as well as NEW! the latest news on the Independent Expert on SOGI appointment process;
- NEW! Three recent statements made by Special Procedures mandate holders, including with regard to the Independent Expert’s report to the General Assembly; and
- ILGA and ISHR’s updated and amended factsheets on the Working Group on discrimination against women, and on the Special Rapporteur on violence against women.
We look forward to working with you as you engage with this useful part of the UN system!
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD
the November 2017 issue of the
Bulletin on UN Special Procedures and Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity & Expression, and Sex Characteristics (SOGIESC)
UN Programme Officer (Treaty Bodies and Special Procedures), ILGA